Fermenting is certainly not a new thing and I’m a little slooooow jumping on this wagon, but I have to really have an understanding about the WHY of stuff before I get too involved.
After quite a bit of research, I knew I didn’t want to have to be dependent on commercial yeasts, so I discovered fermenting to get the job done!
I watched a lot of videos of wine making and most everyone is using larger amounts of everything, but I’m using last year’s cherries that I had in the freezer and I did some simple math and broke the recipe down into fourths and wouldn’t you know, that’s exactly the amount of cherries that I had! Totally meant to be!
Here are the ingredients for this portion:
2.75 pounds cherries
.75 pound (12 oz) raisins
1/4 gallon (32 oz) cold water
Add those to a crock or stainless steel pot. And start smashing like a mad person. Smash, smash, smash, like with a potato masher. You want to break the skins.
Cover with a dish towel, secure and leave it for 3-4 days. Stir daily if you remember.
Meet me back here next weekend for the next step and pics.
I smashed mine up in a big bowl and then transferred to a gallon jar.
Added the 32 oz of water, mixed well.
Done for 3-4 days. I’m planning on 4.